MedicAlert® Foundation of Southern Africa is a registered non-profit membership organisation that was founded in South Africa in 1964. MedicAlert® services are built around a database of healthcare information maintaining security, privacy and confidentiality. MedicAlert® is the trusted third-party custodian of comprehensive personal healthcare information and provides a range of services to its members while maintaining security, privacy and confidentiality.
MedicAlert® International, including the MedicAlert® Foundation of Southern Africa, supports a Code of Conduct that is presented as a five-point checklist that consumers can use to determine their individual needs and priorities, and evaluate providers of emergency medical information and identification services. Choosing the best service provider to meet individual needs is increasingly complicated, as there are so many options available in the marketplace. This five-point checklist guides consumers with descriptions of the various alternatives and objective pros and cons to consider when selecting the product and service features best suited to their personal needs.
· Safeguarding and protecting your personal health information.
· High standards for engraving medical ID products.
· Safe and effective medical ID jewellery and products.
· No-fail emergency-response services.
· Better standards of business.
The MedicAlert® Foundation of Southern Africa is a member of MedicAlert® International. As the market leader and a mission-driven non-profit organisation, MedicAlert® Foundation systematically identified the necessary elements needed to comprise effective emergency medical information and identification services.
Benefits of MedicAlert® membership
Membership of MedicAlert® will benefit you if you:
- Have any type of hidden medical condition
- Have an allergy
- Have had any type of implant – pacemaker, heart valve, organ transplant, joint replacement, etc.
- Take regular medication
- Would like your blood group to be recorded
- Have a living will or wish to be an organ/body donor
- Simply want someone else to know if you have been involved in an emergency.
Your membership card and ID emblem will alert providers and first responders 24 hours a day anywhere in South Africa to your medical condition and allow them to act accordingly.